AAU Alumni Members Demand Cancellation of Home Branch Election, Issue Seven-Day Ultimatum

AAU Alumni Members Demand Cancellation of Home Branch Election, Issue Seven-Day Ultimatum
Thanks for visiting, Please share!

Concerned financial members and stakeholders of the Ambrose Alli University (AAU) Alumni Association Home Branch, Ekpoma, have demanded the immediate cancellation of the association’s August 14, 2026 election, describing the exercise as “fraudulent and inconclusive,” while issuing a seven-day ultimatum to the Worldwide President and National Executive Council (NEC) to address alleged irregularities.

The group, in a press statement issued on Sunday, August 16, and signed by Comr. Austine Onobhayedo, Comr. Mrs. R. I. Egbon and five others called for the “immediate cancellation of the fraudulent and inconclusive Home Branch Election held on August 14, 2026,” as well as the dissolution and reconstitution of the Electoral Committee (ELECO).

It also called for the non-recognition of anyone claiming to have emerged from the disputed election and demanded a comprehensive audit of the association’s finances covering the past five years.

The group said it was giving the Worldwide President and NEC seven days to “address these anomalies and rectify the gross injustice perpetrated against our members.”

It warned that failure to meet the demands within the stipulated period would trigger a series of actions, including the withdrawal of financial subscriptions, formation of a parallel Home Branch, creation of independent digital platforms and commencement of legal proceedings.

According to the statement, members, particularly AAU staff whose association dues are deducted directly from their salaries, would “immediately instruct the university administration to halt all salary deductions and withhold further financial contributions” if the authorities failed to act.

The aggrieved members further threatened to establish what they described as a parallel Home Branch, saying “disenfranchised financial members will formally reconstitute themselves to establish a factional Home Branch dedicated to upholding democratic integrity, members welfare and promote the good image of the university.”

They also said they would establish official social media platforms to counter what they described as censorship of the Home Branch’s WhatsApp platform and “provide an unhindered voice for all verified financial members and relevant stakeholders.”

On the legal front, the group said: “We will initiate immediate legal proceedings to challenge the validity of this inconclusive election and seek formal redress in a court of law.”

The group alleged that the credibility of the election had been compromised before voting began.

It accused the outgoing executive, led by Prof. Austin Aghemelo, of “single-handedly” appointing the Electoral Committee despite objections raised by members at a February 2026 general meeting at the Senior Staff Club, Ekpoma.

It further alleged that the ELECO, under its chairman, Mr. Chris Aikhohi, repeatedly changed the electoral timetable, creating confusion through conflicting directives on the Home Branch WhatsApp platform.

According to the statement, nominations were reopened and extended until August 10, followed by a rushed manifesto presentation on August 13 and the election the following day.

The group also questioned the choice of venue, alleging that the election was moved to the private residence of Mr. Tony Imonitie, whom it described as an interested party contesting for office.

It said the decision created “clear conflict-of-interest concerns.”

The statement further alleged interference by the Worldwide leadership, citing a release issued less than 48 hours before the manifesto presentation which, according to the group, contributed to the perception that the process was being manipulated.

A major point of contention was the eligibility of voters.
The concerned members claimed that more than 140 financial members attended the election venue expecting to vote but were denied the opportunity.

They alleged that the NEC observer, identified as the Chairperson of the AAUE Auchi Branch, took over the proceedings and introduced a list containing only 49 selected voters.

The group described the list as “unverified” and “hidden,” alleging that it was compiled from attendance records covering 2023 to 2026 rather than the constitutional requirement that financial members be allowed to vote.

It claimed that active financial members were excluded while people who had allegedly never attended meetings were included.

The statement alleged that the list was “deliberately tailored to favour a specific chairmanship candidate, Mr. Peter Dame,” whom it said had previously boasted of controlling the process.

The group also alleged that some senior academics, professionals and business leaders were subjected to intimidation and verbal abuse during the exercise.

It claimed the venue was heavily secured, alleging the presence of “four soldiers, 13 police officers from the Ekpoma Police Division, and armed local youths.”

The group further alleged that the NEC observer threatened to use the police and army to arrest members who refused to follow his directives.

The concerned members also questioned the credibility of the vote count.

They alleged that only about 29 people eventually voted, while accreditation figures showed 43 voters and the tally allegedly reached 45.

“For other executive positions which they have refused to release, total votes cast fluctuated erratically between 20 and 24,” the statement claimed.

According to the group, arguments over the discrepancies eventually forced the NEC observer to leave the venue, leaving the election inconclusive.

It further alleged that the ELECO failed to disclose the number of ballot papers produced, describing the situation as evidence of possible “ballot box stuffing and vote manipulation.”

The group said the election was therefore “not free, not fair and not credible in all ramifications,” and described it as “inconclusive, chaotic, and unconstitutional.”

The statement also raised questions about events following the election.

It alleged that at about 10:13 p.m. on August 14, ELECO Chairman Chris Aikhohi released a partial result declaring Mr. Peter Dame winner of the chairmanship.

According to the group, the declaration was subsequently deleted at about 10:56 p.m.

It said another statement was posted by the ELECO chairman at about 5:15 a.m. on August 15 in an attempt to address what the group described as errors in the earlier declaration.

The aggrieved members also questioned Mr. Dame’s eligibility, alleging that he contested while still serving as Worldwide Secretary-General and “failed to resign his post” before entering the race.

Beyond the election, the group demanded an examination of the association’s finances.

It said members had expected at least a summary of income and expenditure at the general/end-of-tenure meeting but were instead presented with a financial report dated December 2025 despite the meeting taking place in August 2026.

“Arising from the manner in which the Executive Committee (EXCO) ran the finances of the House, we are demanding a complete financial audit of the accounts for the last five years,” the statement said.

The group also appealed to AAU management, security agencies, Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital (ISTH), PFFM and other stakeholders not to recognise anyone who emerged from what it described as the compromised election.

It said such individuals “do not represent the over 600 active financial members of the Home Branch.”

The concerned members appealed to the Worldwide President and NEC to act within the seven-day window, warning that continued inaction would damage an association they described as the “flagship and foundation” of the entire Alumni Association.

While thanking all the financial members for their support they commended the Vice-Chancellor of the university, Prof. Mrs. Eunice Omonzijie, and the university management for what it described as neutrality and refusal to interfere in the election.

The allegations contained in the statement are claims by the concerned members and stakeholders and efforts to get the reaction of the outgoing chairman, Prof. Austin Aghemelo, and the ELECO chairman, Mr. Chris Aikhohi failed.
Newscurve will publish their side of the story as soon as we’re able to reach them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *